Meat Sector in China Increasingly Investing on Automation


Published Date : Dec 02, 2015

The demand for quality and safe meat products is significantly rising within mainland China. It is discussed during a major industry conference held at Shanghai that how purchases of processing machinery are also increasing in response to the increasing demand for meat products in the country. 

China recently hosted a three-day Meat Expo, between 25th and 27th November. This conference was organized by the Shanghai Messe Frankfurt Co. During the conference, it was reiterated that as the largest pork and the second-largest poultry produced in the world, China has already spent US$114.4 mn in buying meat processing machines from the overseas market in 2014. This registered a 1.3% increase from the purchase records of 2013, as per the findings of an engineering association based in Germany called Verband Deutscher Maschinen-und Anlagenbau (VDMA). 

Margret Menzel, the head of marketing for VDMA during the Expo stressed on the fact that the meat companies in China were prioritizing hygiene and safety with purchases. She said during the interview that safety and quality of the machines go and in hand. The machines and equipment for meat processing therefore must be designed hygienically. She also stressed that if need be, traceability should be achieved by using data and record stored in machines. 

Chinese meat sector at present is seeking high degrees of automation. Be it the meat manufacturers, retailers or the food services suppliers, the demand for high efficiency in meat processing and lower labor cost is increasing, said Masahiro Watanabe, managing director of a leading meat slicer manufacturers Watanabe Foodmach based in Nagoya, Japan. 

During a recent event Watanabe told GlobalMeatNews that 80% of their customers in China were the local companies while Japanese companies constituted the rest 20%. He added that Chinese companies are increasingly understanding the return that they may fetch from investing on high quality machines. Furthermore, Watanabe said that they expect the sale of their meat processing machines to grow significantly in China in forthcoming years.