Doors have been opened by Apple for the construction laborers to aid in building its new campus. Apple representative, Josh Rosenstock told the newspaper Financial Times on Thursday that the giant in technical sphere has revoked a requirement of people who had been found guilty of crimes within the past 7 years and were not allowed to work on the giant Cupertino construction assignment. After the release of this policy this week, Apple had to undergo a lot of tension from advocates as well as union leaders who had to say that the jobs in construction are the major source for criminals to transit and come back into their society
The representative said that it had recently come to their attention, while performing the background check which takes place at the Apple Campus that a few candidates who had applied were rejected due to the fact that they had been found guilty of a crime within the past 7 years. He further added that they are aware of the fact that by doing so they have maximized the chances of people who actually deserved a second chance. He said that they have eliminated that restriction and have advised our contractors on the assignment to see all applicants as equals.
Apple's switch followed numerous days of pressure from the public which included politicians named as D-San Francisco, Sen. Mark Leno who spoke out against the ban, and rolled out a petition to circulate everyone asking for Apple to take it back.
Iron Workers Local Union 377 embossed awareness about the policy by forwarding letters to Apple’s CEO, Tim Cook as well as to Kamala Harris, the state Attorney General. The San Francisco Chronicle newspaper was the primary one to announce the Apple's policy and the same newspaper later announced about Apple’s annulment of the same.
A representative for Harris commended the reversal by saying that their office is glad to regard Apple’s assurance to give a second chance to diligent workers.