PharmSource - M&A in the CMC Services Industry: Implications and Outlook
M&A is reshaping the bio/pharmaceutical contract development services industry. Established CMOs and CROs are pursuing acquisitions to drive scale and broaden their offerings, while private equity are anxious to either gain a presence in the industry or cash in on investments already made. Acquisitions of facilities divested by bio/pharma companies offer an alternative route for entering the industry or increasing capacity.
- According to the latest PharmSource Trend Report, M&A in the CMC Services Industry: Implications and Outlook, in the three-year period 2014-2016 there were 101 acquisitions of CMC services companies, including dose and API manufacturing, packaging, logistics, formulation and analytical services. Only 25% of the targets had revenues greater than $100 million; most targets were small companies. Contrary to the popular impression, little industry consolidation has resulted from M&A.
- M&A in the CMC Services Industry: Implications and Outlook analyzes how M&A in the bio/pharma contract services industry is likely to play out over the next two years. It examines which capabilities are likely to be most in demand by acquirers and which companies are most likely to be targets.
Reasons to buy
- CMOs: market trends, strategic planning, competitive intelligence, performance benchmarking
- Bio/Pharma: supplier performance benchmarking, market trends, competitive intelligence
- Private equity and Stock analysts: target identification and analysis, portfolio company performance benchmarking