Cigars and Cigarillos in Switzerland, 2017
"Cigars and Cigarillos in Switzerland, 2017", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Swiss market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects and forecasts for sales and consumption to 2025.
The overall Swiss tobacco products market has contracted by 31.5% or almost a third since 1997. It is still dominated by factory-made cigarettes which accounted for 88.4% of total tonnage in 2016 , although volume has fallen by more than 35% since 1997. The only real growth sector has been smoking tobacco, demand for which has risen by 85.7% since 1997. Smoking tobacco now accounts for 7.1% of tobacco consumption. Cigars and cigarillos represent the third largest sector with just 4.5% of total tonnage, which is up on their share of 3.6% in 1990.
- Consumption of cigars and cigarillos has declined by 20.8% in tonnage since 1990 and by 13.1% since 1997, despite a recent upturn. Within the cigar and cigarillo market, the cigarillo segment has been the most dynamic, with sales volume up by 62.5% since 1990.
- Cigarillos formed 79.3% of volume sales in 2016 while the traditional stumpen accounted for only 10.8% of volume compared with over 41% in 1990 and large cigars for only 10% compared with 17.6% in 1990, these comprising head cigars (including premium cigars), Virginia/Brissago and Toscani cigars.
- The Swiss cigar market is dominated by two cigar manufacturers, Burger Shne and Villiger Shne, which between them accounted for almost 84% of total market volume.
- The proportion of adults smoking in Switzerland remains relatively high although it is in long-term decline.
- In December 2016, the Swiss parliament rejected proposals for a complete tobacco advertising ban (except at point of sale) and also blocked proposals for a further tax increase on tobacco products.
- On current trends, overall market volume is forecast to grow by 6.7% by 2025, with cigarillos the only growth segment, driving overall volume. Demand for both stumpen and large cigars is expected to continue to decline, more or less in line with existing trends. In per capita terms, cigar and cigarillo consumption is expected to remain flat.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.