Cigarettes in Brazil, 2017
"Cigarettes in Brazil, 2017", is an analytical report by Globaldata that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the market. The report offers Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Brazil has traditionally been one of the largest cigarette markets in the world although recent price rises have reduced volumes to 54.9 billion pieces in 2016. Brazil ranked fifth in terms of global cigarette consumption at the beginning of the 1990s, but domestic market volume suffered badly from the effects of Brazil's severe economic problems during the early part of that decade and also from the impact of smuggling, with the contraband trade accounting for around a third of total consumption at the start of the decade. Including contraband, counterfeit and other illegal trade, consumption is estimated at 109.8 billion pieces in 2016 with the non-duty paid sector currently expanding once again to account for 50.0% of total sales.
- Production of cigarettes follows a similar pattern to domestic sales with export production no longer a major component of the local industry.
- Output reached a new low of 53.2 billion pieces in 2016, which is 69.3% below 1900 levels. Based on legitimate sales, per capita consumption levels are comparatively low, averaging 267 pieces/year in 2016. GlobalData expects sales of 64 billion pieces by 2024 compared with 54.9 billion pieces in 2016 - an increase of 16.6%.
- Growth could be higher although here increased regulatory actions against smoking are likely to depress sales.
- Per capita consumption of duty paid cigarettes is forecast at 292 pieces in 2026.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.