Malaysia: Expansion of High-Speed Wireless and Fixed Broadband Networks to Drive Telecom Market Growth
"Malaysia: Expansion of High-Speed Wireless and Fixed Broadband Networks to Drive Telecom Market Growth", is a new Country Intelligence Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Malaysia today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2021. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, and mobile, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
The telecom service revenue growth in Malaysia over 2016-2021 will be sustained by mobile data, fixed internet and VoIP service segments. Mobile voice is the largest revenue-contributing segment but is expected to be replaced by mobile data in 2021. Going forward, operators will focus on data centric services and invest in 4G/LTE-A and FTTH deployments to boost broadband penetration in the country. Operators push for digital solutions such as M2M/IoT, and smart cities under the Eleventh Malaysia Plan, 2016-2020 and TN50 will create significant opportunities for vendors and investors in the coming years.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following -
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Malaysia compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Malaysia.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data markets.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2016 to 2021.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Malaysia's telecommunications markets.
- Total telecom service revenue growth in Malaysia will remain insignificant but will avoid any erosion in market value over 2016-2021 thanks to growth in the mobile data, VoIP and fixed Internet segments.
- Mobile revenue will account for 63.0% of total telecom revenue in 2021, with mobile data accounting for 50.8% of mobile revenue in 2021.
- 3G is currently the most adopted mobile technology. However, its share will decline during the forecast period as customers migrate to higher-speed LTE/LTE-A services.
- The top two operators, Maxis and Celcom, accounted for 47.0% share of overall service revenue in 2016. We expect the competition to intensify further with the recent launch of Webe Mobile by incumbent Telekom Malaysia in September 2017, which allows the operator to provide fixed-mobile converged services.
- Operators will continue to invest in 4G network expansion and fiber deployment to improve connectivity and cater to the rising data demand.
Reasons to buy
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Malaysias telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalDatas Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Malaysias mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Malaysias telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Malaysia.