South Korea: Operator Investments in 5G and Fiber to Support Growth of IPTV and New Value-Added Services
"South Korea: Operator Investments in 5G and Fiber to Support Growth of IPTV and New Value-Added Services", is a new Country Intelligence Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in South Korea today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2021. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, and mobile, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
Telecom service revenue in South Korea is estimated to decline at a CAGR of -0.5% during 2016-2021, due to a decrease in overall voice revenue. Mobile data and fixed Internet growth will be driven by the growth in adoption of 4G/LTE and FTTx services, respectively. The pay-TV segment will witness the fastest growth in the country over the forecast period owing to high growth in the IPTV segment. Operators will continue to compete via network expansion and 5G trials, as well as VAS and IoT projects. KT is expected to launch trial 5G services during the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following -
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in South Korea compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in South Korea.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data markets.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2016 to 2021.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, and mobile data services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in South Korea's telecommunications markets.
- Overall telecom service revenue in South Korea will decline at a CAGR of -0.5% during 2016-2021, mainly affected by declining voice revenue. Growth in the data services segment will also fail to offset declining voice services. The demand for high bandwidth online content and OTT services will be a key driver for the growth of mobile data in South Korea.
- Mobile revenue will account for 60.3% of total telecom revenue in 2021; mobile data will witness a CAGR of 1.5% during 2016-2021.
- The top two operators, KT and SK Telecom, accounted for 69.1% share of overall service revenue in 2016. We expect competition to intensify as operators are investing in 5G and fixed broadband.
Reasons to buy
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of South Korea's telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalDatas Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in South Korea's mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in South Korea's telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in South Korea.