Thailand - Telecommunication Services: A technology driven market (Strategy, Performance and Risk Analysis)
Thailands mobile subscription base increased at a CAGR of 1.5% during 2012-16 from 83.9 million in 2012 to 89.1 million in 2016, and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.3% to reach 104.7 million by 2021. Mobile penetration levels increased from 125.6% in 2012 to 132% in 2016, are expected to reach 154% by 2021 due to an increased adoption of mobile phones and enhanced investment by operators in advanced technologies such as VoWiFi and 4G VoLTE.
MarketLines Premium industry reports provide a comprehensive market view including sections on: industry risk & reward, key industry trends and drivers, industry SWOT analysis, industry benchmarking to compare key performance indicators with regional and global markets, competitive landscape, and innovation.
Strong growth in mobile data revenue
Mobile data revenue increased at a CAGR of 24.5% during the review period from US$1,649.1 million in 2012 to US$3,957.3 million in 2016, and is expected to increase at a CAGR of 14.6% during 2016-21 to reach US$7,814.7 million. The increase is attributed to the launch of attractive promotional mobile data plans and improvements in the 4G/LTE network infrastructure.
Government initiatives set to boost market growth
Government initiatives are expected to drive the market growth. For instance, the regulator, NBTC, commenced a five-year master plan aimed at promoting new technologies and infrastructure sharing among operators. Moreover, by 2025, there will be 865MHz bandwidth available for mobile phone services, compared with 420MHz in 2016.
The Ministry of Information and Communication Technology aims to increase broadband penetration by 95% in the country by 2020. To boost its broadband the government is investing US$1.1 billion in order to increase data speeds by more than 400%. NBTC plans to enhance the broadband experience over the next five years by regulating new spectrum bands.
Significant investment in technology
Technologies such as internet of things (IoT) and 4G are expected to gain momentum. AIS is planning to invest US$1.1 billion into the expansion of 4G its network and upgrade its base stations to 4G. CAT signed a contract with SK Telecom for the deployment of LoRa-based IoT networks.
- Risk/Reward Index - enables you to assess the risks and potential rewards of investing in Thailands Telecommunications market in comparison with other Asia-Pacific countries.
- Industry Snapshot and Industry View - Key Telecommunications Industry Statistics including fixed/mobile revenue, subscriptions, churn, market share, and ARPS are analyzed to reveal the key issues and trends driving market performance in Thailands Telecommunications market.
- Industry SWOT Analysis - Discover the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats impacting market performance and investment in Thailands Telecommunications market.
- Industry Benchmarking - Benchmark how Thailands telecommunications market is performing compared to regional and global markets in terms of fixed or mobile revenue, subscriptions, ARPS, penetration, and usage to gauge potential for growth or market entry.
- Competitive Landscape - Analyze and compare the performance of the leading players in Thailands Telecommunications market by business segment on metrics such as such as churn, ARPU, and subscriber and revenue growth.
Reasons to buy
- How has the mobile voice revenue market been performing in the 2012-2016 period?
- What are the biggest strengths and weaknesses for the future of Thailands telecommunications market?
- What is driving the performance of key industry segments such as Voice, Data, Prepaid, Postpaid, Broadband, and IPTV?
- What government initiatives are on the horizon, and how will they affect the telecommunications market in Thailand?
Table of Contents
Risk and Reward Index 3
Industry Snapshot 7
Industry View 12
Industry SWOT Analysis 17
Industry Benchmarking 23
Industry Performance 30
Competitive Landscape 42
Key Developments 58