A detailed market research report on the South Korea beer industry. Researched and published by Canadean.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This report comprises high level market research data on the South Korea beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers the total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on beer market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing. What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The South Korea Beer Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Beer market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors. All data has been researched, brand upwards, by an experienced 'on-the-ground' industry analyst who conducts face-to-face interviews with key producers, leading companies in allied industries, distributors and retailers.Key Features and Benefits
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the South Korea Beer industry. Data includes volumes from 2007 to 2011, plus forecasts for 2012, enabling historical and current trend analysis.
- This report provides readers with in-depth market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount, alcoholic strength, local segmentation, beer type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and contains brewer profiles for ten major brewers
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs non-refillable, multi-serve vs single serve. Market valuation data and pricing data, including beer consumption by price segment/distribution channel and selected consumer beer prices are also included.
Key Market Issues
- Consumption of carbonated drinks is decreasing every year because of the increasing number of health conscious consumers.
- The Korean beer market is experiencing slower growth due to many factors including healthier lifestyles, fewer work-related dinners and more time with families, suffering economic growth, more rainy seasons, growing competition against soju (Korean vodka) and makkuli (Korean rice sake), and many more.
- Most domestic consumers, however, believe that most domestic beers have lots of additives in them, whereas German beers, for instance, are subject to Reinheitsgebot - German purity law.
- Korean domestic beer has been experiencing slow growth. To increase sales, Korean breweries are concentrating on exporting their beer, especially OB.
- The beer market is segmented by price points and divided into mainstream, premium, and super premium.
- Though domestic beer has been and is still dominating the market, consumers are willing to spend more to taste imported beers, which could easily cost as much as a domestic beer.
- Beer is the most popular alcoholic drink in Korea with 56% (based on sales) of the beverage market share.
- As people travel abroad more and show an increasing demand for better quality beers, imported beers are showing growth.
- OB and Hite, in order to fill in the niche market, are aiming to produce better quality beer with different profiles.
- Companies are now also targeting younger crowds in their 20s and 30s by producing lower calorie beers.