A detailed market research report on the Greece beer industry. Researched and published by Canadean. Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This report comprises of high level market research data on the Greece beer industry, published by Canadean. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on beer market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing. What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The market is shrinking as the austerity measures have paralysed the Greek economy. The Greek beer consumer seems to be interested in tasting more specialized beers however does not have enough money to spend and turns to cheaper products. On premise channel is falling as Greeks tend to stay at home and do not go out as often as they used to some years ago. Customers turn to Greek beers instead of internationals, which continue to lose share. What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The economic crisis is the main reason for the decrease in consumption and the shrinking in the on premise distribution channel. Greeks also boycott international products because of the hard austerity they have been imposed to and turn to domestic beers.What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Greece Beer Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Beer market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors. All data has been researched, brand upwards, by an experienced 'on-the-ground' industry analyst who conducts face-to-face interviews with key producers, leading companies in allied industries, distributors and retailers.Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Greece Beer industry. Data includes volumes from 2007 to 2011 plus forecasts for 2012, enabling historical and current trend analysis.
- This report provides readers with in-depth market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount, alcoholic strength, local segmentation, beer type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and contains brewer profiles of major brewers
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable, multi-serve vs. single serve. Market valuation data and pricing data, including beer consumption by price segment/distribution channel and selected consumer beer prices are also included.
- The economic crisis has resulted to a dramatic decrease in the beer consumption, as consumers have reduced their spending.
- The increasing unemployment along with the insecurity, do not allow consumers to purchase unnecessary goods.
- Distributors are also facing increasing liquidity problems, which is having a negative impact in particular on imported super premium brands.
- Greeks used to go out very often some years ago and spent much for their entertainment, however now they cannot afford drinking outside and they prefer to drink at home.
- Greeks feel pressured by foreign countries and they boycott their products, turning into domestic products. A huge increase on the share of Greek beers has been noticed during the past year.
- Imports grew in 2011, driven by increased imports from Spain, Belgium and the UK.
- The Fix brand captured 5% of the market in the second year of its return and intends to grab the 3rd place in the Greek market.
- Amstel Premium Pilsener was the only major product introduction in 2011, targeted to the male consumer.
- Packaging is advancing to the consumer needs with the new easy-open 25cl non-returnable glass pack for the Mythos brand that intends to facilitate consumption of the product at the right temperature in hot weather as the product often becomes too warm before larger packs are fully consumed.
- PL beers continue to win consumer acceptance owing to their very competitive price positioning.