Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type. Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 Australia Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Australian cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Like many cider markets, the Australian industry was relatively quiet until recent years. The country's leading brewer, Foster's Australia, had gained a monopoly market position. However, the market has seen a substantial outlook shift in recent years there has been substantial competitive pressure.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The competitive pressure has come not just from Foster's traditional beer market rival, Lion, but also from importers shipping major brands from overseas (especially neighboring New Zealand).
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Australian Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Australian cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
- SABMiller-owned Foster's remains the largest player and its cider brands have been performing well compared to its beer brands, but there has been substantial competitive pressure.
- Cider is becoming an increasingly important part of drinkers' regular repertoires. It is generally associated with specific occasions, with a focus on the summer months and on outdoor drinking occasion.
- Cider has also won share from RTDs (FABs) in the wake of tax changes to deter younger consumers from excessive RTD consumption.
- As the cider market grows, a super premium category is starting to emerge.
- The poor summers of 2010-11 and 2011-12 have had a significant short term impact on the Australian beer and cider markets.
- As the Australian cider market has become more complicated and more premium, Canadean has enhanced its segmentation to reflect the changes occurring within the landscape, creating a super premium category
- While all segments are expected to grow in 2012, the fastest volume growth is expected to be in super premium cider.
- The mainstream sector has shown some growth, driven largely by the emergence of new mass market brands such as Tooheys Extra Dry 5 Seeds from Lion (Kirin Group).
- Unlike many other markets, flavored cider has made minimal inroads in the Australian arena.
- Strongbow remains the market leader but growth was behind the market.