Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavored). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 Finland Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Finnish cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The cider market in Finland is relatively mature and the per capita consumption of cider is one of the highest in Europe. Due to the maturity of the market, significant growth levels are no longer achieved or expected. .Local brands have a strong following and are produced by the top three local brewers.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The maturity of the cider market is due to the boom in the category which started about fifteen years ago. One of the key changes in the cider category has been a move towards large numbers of brand extensions under each of the key market labels. One of the key reasons for this is that manufacturers have tried to keep the consumer interested in the category and the only way to achieve this has been through constant new product launches.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Finland Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Finland cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
- Although cider is positioned as a drink for young adults it is more expensive than beer, the main alcoholic beverage in Finland. Consequently, cider has struggled to maintain its importance in the overall alcohol category.
- The target market is young adults but over time the category has become old fashioned and not as trendy.
- Consumers have become accustomed to a category with constant innovation and new flavors.
- The constant innovation and brand extensions has led to a dilution of brand loyalty as consumers switch from one new product to another.
- In 2011 consumers were tempted either towards more premium brands or discount brands as consumers have become more aware of their expenditure.
- Swedish imports declined as consumers were tempted either towards more premium brands or discount brands as consumers have become more aware of their expenditure.
- One of the key changes in the cider category has been a move towards large numbers of brand extensions under each of the key market labels.
- 2011 saw volumes edge forward marginally with strong growth from local brand Olvi through packaging redesign and pricing activity.
- The established trend of apple and fruit flavored cider growing at the expense of pear cider continued.
- Upcider (Hartwall) which snatched the number on position away from Golden Cap (Sinebrychoff) in 2010 managed to maintain their leadership in 2011 despite volume declines