Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type. Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 France Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the French cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Cider is regarded as a traditional drink in France and is consumed at a variety of occasions, although less often than wine or beer as consumers tend to see it as old-fashioned. It is produced mainly by cooperatives.What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The declines should be seen within the wider, long-term downward trend of alcoholic beverages in general in FranceWhat makes this report unique and essential to read?
The France Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the France cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
- Cider is subject to seasonal consumption, peaking in January during Epiphany or La Chandeleur, two traditional events when cider is drunk together with pastries such as crepes or galette des rois (King's cake). Cider consumption also tends to rise during the summer season.
- Consumers tend to see it as old-fashioned drinks.
- Cider is subject to seasonal consumption, peaking in January during Epiphany or La Chandeleur. Cider consumption also tends to rise during the summer season.
- While the long-term trend of declining alcoholic drinks consumption in France does not seem to slowing down, some products managed to recover in 2011 thanks to the good weather. This was not the case for cider, with consumption remaining occasional and sporadic.
- France has a strong wine culture in the south and a strong beer culture in the north to compete with.
- Cider declined again in 2011 with consumption remaining occasional and sporadic .
- Some brands such as Ecusson tried to create new cider drinking occasions to fuel the demand of its products, a strategy which has proved fruitful so far with some of its new launches.
- Virtually all branded products saw a negative performance in 2011, while PL lines increased compared with 2010.
- In the mainstream segment, branded products were down by over 7%.
- Bole d'Armorique suffered, decreasing by almost 27% compared to 2010 as the brand relies heavily on the shrinking on-premise channel.