Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type. Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 Netherlands Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Netherlands cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The Dutch cider market was non-existent until 2009 when Heineken decided to focus new activity in this category in order to increase volumes. Apart from Jillz all other cider volumes are imported. As the category is fairly new it has yet to develop into segments. The beverage is still quite new to the Dutch palate and supermarkets struggle to present the product in such a way as to allow it to have its own identity.What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Heineken continues the sustained effort of promoting cider as a new category with special supermarket promotions coupled with magazine advertisements. Heineken is now putting extra money and effort into the segment for two to three years and therefore confirms that the investment is bearing fruit and volumes are increasing.What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Netherlands Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Netherlands cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
- The category did not exist in Holland before 2000 and so the beverage is still quite new to the Dutch palate
- New Jillz cider was created to appeal to a female audience both in terms of image and taste.
- Cider promotions are highly seasonal, with the main focus being during spells of warm weather.
- As the category is new marketing and advertising is needed to introduce consumers to it.
- Other players have yet to follow Heineken into the market and it remains to be seen if the category can be established.
- The category enjoyed strong growth in 2011 but from a small base.
- Heineken continued its sustained efforts promoting cider as a new category. The company will put extra money and effort into the category for the next two to three years.
- Heineken marketed Jillz aimed at female drinkers and Strongbow aimed at male drinkers. Both brands enjoyed growth in 2011.
- Savanna (from South Africa) also grew and plans on-premise promotions for 2012.
- The presence of cider four packs maintains the price level in supermarkets in line with the total price for six packs of beer (in either glass or can). By keeping the price points the same, the products become more interchangeable in the consumers' mind.