Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavored). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 Norway Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Norwegian cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The Norwegian cider market has been on an upward trend since the launch of Somersby cider by Ringnes AS in 2008. During 2011 Grevens cider from Hansa Borg edged ahead of Somersby. The rise of Grevens has put pressure on its key competitors which include Somersby cider, Kopparberg, Berentsens, Mack and Halmstad cider. There is now some considerable competition for market leadership with Grevens (Hansa Borg) and Somersby (Ringnes) fighting it out for dominance. Norwegian law prohibits the use of advertising and promotions for alcoholic beverages including product information on company websites and other product literature. This makes building brand awareness more difficult and can hold growth back. In contrast the government owned Vinmonopolet outlets have less restrictions and can promote brands and pricing on their websites.What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Grivens overtook Somersby mainly due to its strength in the grocery channels. Competition has risen as new players enter the category. Innovation has helped to drive the category; there is a variety of flavors, pack types and low calorie options. Younger consumers, especially women are the target consumers.What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Norway Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Norway cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
- New product innovation for Grevens and pack extensions from the Somersby brand helped to grow the market further, broadening the appeal of cider through wider flavor choice.
- The sweet taste of cider has been the main driver for the growth in cider in the last few years. Most brands have an apple and pear flavor in their range.
- Cider is positioned as a long drink in the market place and as an alternative to lager type beer. FABs consumers often have cider in their beverage drinking repertoire as well as FABs
- Competition intensified for brand leadership in the Norwegian cider market in 2011. Grevens, the Swedish cider distributed by Hansa Borg, edged ahead of Somersby cider (from Carlsberg owned Ringnes AS).
- Going forward the competition for dominance of the growing cider market will be most likely to be played out between Grevens and Somersby cider. The key to growth will be further segmentation to appeal more to male drinkers, and possibly more low-calorie alternatives to appeal to a wider audience.
- The Norwegian cider market continued its upward growth trend in 2011 with consumption growing by a further 5%.
- Competition is warming up between the Grevens and Somersby cider brands for leadership over the cider market.
- In 2011 Ringnes improved distribution especially in the on-trade but suffered a slight decline in market share due to the competitive situation with Grevens.
- Norway emerged fairly quickly from the recent recession and the cider market growth of 5% in 2011 contrasts strongly with the 2% decline in the beer consumption.
- Cider distribution through on-premise channels continued to improve in 2011 thanks to the efforts of both Ringnes and Hansa Borg.
Table of Content
Section 1 Market Update
- Market Size
- Market Value
- Distribution 2011
- Current and Emerging Trends
- Imports and Exports
- Top 10 Cider Brands Volume, 2010-2011
- Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands Volume, 2009-2011
- Brand Analysis
- Private Label/Private Label Producers
- New Products Activity
Section 2 Brewer Profiles
- Aass Bryggeri AS
- Berentsens Brygghus
- Brewery International AS
- Hansa Borg Bryggerier AS
- MultiBev AS
- Ringnes AS
- Macks Olbryggeri AS
- Strag AS
- Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
- Product Definitions
- Packaging Definitions
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
- Table 1.2.1 Taxation Base
- Table 1.2.2 Historical Excise Rates of Cider
- Table 1.2.3 Legal Controls on Cider
- Table 1.3.1 Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2010-2012
- Table 1.3.2 Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2010-2012
- Commercial Beverage Consumption per Capita Liters, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption per Capita % Share, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption per Capita Growth, 2001-2012F
- Commercial Beverage Consumption Million Liters, 2001-2012F
- Alcoholic Beverage Consumption Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2001-2012F
- Cider Production/Trade/Consumption Growth, 2005-2012F
- Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2001-2012F
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2008-2012F.
- Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Type, 2008-2012F
- Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2008-2012F
- Cider All Trademarks, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2007-2011
- Cider Brands by Type, 2007-2011
- Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2007-2011
- Cider Trademark Owners, 2007-2011
- Cider Local Operators, 2007-2011
- Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2007-2011
- Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2008-2012F
- Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2008-2012F
- Chart Leading Brewers/Imports, 2011
- Market Structure
- Cider Producers/Importers
- Chart Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2011
- Packaging Trends
- Chart Distribution by Channel, 2011
- Chart Consumption by Price Segment, 2011
- Market Valuation and Pricing
- Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
- Distribution Trends