Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type. Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 Spain Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Spanish cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The cider market is split between natural still cider and carbonated cider; two variants sharing the same parent name but with different production procedures resulting in two different beverages in terms of flavor and consumption characteristics. Natural cider consumption in Spain is high among adults and older consumers, and is mostly consumed in on-premise channels especially in northern Spain. Carbonated cider is broadly used by both young and adult consumers for toasts and celebrating festivities or as a complement to dining, particularly to accompany dessert, throughout the year.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The decline was due to weak on-premise consumption, with bar owners now cutting stocks as a way to save on costs. In the off-premise channel however cider did better by complementing its traditionally carbonated cider based-shelves with an increasing range of natural cider brands.What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Spain Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Spain cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles.
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
- The decline was due to weak on-premise consumption, with bar owners now cutting stocks as a way to save on costs.
- Cider is positioned as a low alcohol content and easy to drink beverage for consumers reluctant to indulge in heavy alcohol consumption.
- The cider market is split between natural still cider and carbonated cider. Natural cider consumption in Spain is high among adults and older consumers, and is mostly consumed in on-premise channels especially in northern Spain which made it more susceptible to the downturn in on-premise trade. Carbonated cider is broadly used by both young and adult consumers for toasts and celebrating festivities or as a complement
- Natural cider packaging has a characteristic long neck and old fashioned-shaped glass bottle is used for traditional reasons and to ensure it is also easy to distinguish. This packaging strategy has encouraged a rather old-fashioned image of cider similar to that of some outdated brands of sherry or local quality wine, making it more difficult to gain the attention of young consumers.
- The forecast for 2012 is for further modest decline owing to the on-premise market being further affected by the limited spending power of the consumer.
- Cider consumption fell again in 2011, this time by over 2%. The decline was due to weak on-premise consumption.
- The off-premise channel cider did better by complementing its traditionally carbonated cider based-shelves with an increasing range of natural cider brands.
- Carbonated cider performed better than natural ciders partly due to the contribution of PL and consumers using it as a less expensive substitute for cava
- Both cider segments have been hit since the economic downturn in 2008.
- Virtually all cider in Spain is made from apples with pear or fruit cider limited to temporary (very small) imports and only available at specialist retailers of wines and spirits.