Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavored). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2012 Sweden Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Swedish cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Cider may be showing symptoms of maturity but the category only dates back to the late 60s when Herrljunga produced the first apple cider in Sweden. The category only really gained momentum in the mid-nineties when Kopparbergs began producing alcoholic versions of the no and very low alcoholic ciders sold in the supermarkets. The Swedish cider drinker's age profile is relatively young and subsequently ciders tend to compete with the FABs category: when FABs perform well ciders tend to struggle. The cider category is prone to sharp fluctuations in demand.What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The size of the market has dropped following the change in definitions in 2006 which excluded some brands which had previously fallen into the cider category; the biggest of which was Carlsberg's X-ide.The flavored segment was the only one to decline because most cider sold in the growing on-premise is apple or pear. Carlsberg and Spendrups both performed well in Horeca. Both companies focused on bars and restaurants with the Briska and the Somersby brands.What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Sweden Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
Key Market Issues
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Sweden cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non-refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
- Four companies make up more than 82% of the market: Kopparbergs, Abro Bryggeri, Spendrups and Carlsberg Sweden.
- Due to the young consumer base, the category's fortunes are generally tied to the FABs market; when FABs rise the cider market drops.
- The cider market is showing signs of maturity despite only dating back to the 1960s.
- It was another downward year for the Hannas brand. Average prices appeared to increase sharply, which is expected to have contributed to the losses.
- More than a third of the cider market is made up of an assortment of diverse flavors and flavor combinations. The segment was the only one to decline because most cider sold in the growing on-premise is apple or pear.
- After struggling for much of the year, a strong revival in Quarter 4 helped the Swedish cider market see growth for 2011. The Christmas period 2010 was weak and growth in 2011 had not been expected.
- The big brewers have shown a willingness to invest in cider, which should bode well for the future.
- In the UK Swedish ciders have exploded onto the scene and Kopparberg and now Rekorderlig sell considerably more cider in the UK than they do in Sweden.
- Favorable economic conditions encouraged consumers to opt for the more premium glass offerings over cans. On-premise locations also benefited, leading to value increasing ahead of volume.
- The category has already performed quite strongly in the first half of 2012.