Cigarettes in Switzerland, 2017
"Cigarettes in Switzerland, 2017", is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Swiss market. The report analyzes the market size and structure, on both an overall and and per capita basis, based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise. Key companies and consumer trends are also analyzed.
The Swiss cigarette market is mature with demand declining for most of the time since 1990, although some short-term recovery was experienced in 2006, 2008 and 2009, before the downward trend resumed. This is mainly due to anti-smoking legislation and a general trend amongst consumers to quit - in line with many other European countries. As elsewhere in Europe the level of consumption in Switzerland is being affected by the availability of non-domestic duty paid supplies as local cigarettes are increasingly expensive because of regular tax hikes from the government. Overall, the market is expected to contract in the long term but it still offers cigarette companies a relatively lucrative short-to-medium term opportunity.
- The Swiss cigarette market has contracted by over 40% since 1990 to reach 9.6 billion pieces in 2016.
- Per capita consumption is declining with it reaching a new low of 1,175 pieces per year.
- PMI is the most important manufacturer with over 40% of the market, as of 2016.
Reasons to buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning. The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.