“Global Pharmaceutical Survey 2013-2014: Market Trends, Marketing Spend and Sales Strategies in the Global Pharmaceutical Industry” is a new report by ICD Research that analyzes how pharmaceutical industry companies' media spend, marketing and sales strategies and practices, and business planning are set to change in 2013-2014. Additionally, this report also presents comparative analysis between four years of survey results (wherever applicable). This report provides the current size of the marketing and advertising budgets of global pharmaceutical industry suppliers and how spending by global pharmaceutical industry suppliers will change, providing an insight into global marketing behaviour. In addition, the report identifies future growth of global pharmaceutical industry buyers and suppliers and MandA activity. This report not only grants access to the opinions and strategies of business decision makers and competitors, but also examines their actions surrounding business priorities. The report also provides access to information categorized by region, company type and sizes.”
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
This report is the result of an extensive survey drawn from ICD Research's exclusive panel of leading global pharmaceutical industry executives. The report provides data and analysis on global pharmaceutical industry suppliers' media spend, marketing and sales strategies, and practices and business planning within the global pharmaceutical industry. This report includes key topics such as media channel spending outlooks, media budgets, marketing agency selection criteria, business challenges, and sales tactics of leading suppliers within the global pharmaceutical industry. The report also identifies global pharmaceutical industry buyers' and suppliers' future growth, MandA and investment expectations. Most secondary research reports are based on general industry drivers and do not understand the industry executives' attitude and changing behaviours, creating a gap in presenting the business outlook of the industry. In an effort to bridge this gap, ICD Research created this primary-research based report by gathering the opinions of multiple stake holders in the value-chain of the global pharmaceutical industry
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The average size of the annual marketing budget of global pharmaceutical industry supplier respondents stood at US$4.2 million in 2012, a figure that decreased to US$2.6 million in 2013.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
In the process of choosing marketing agencies, the 'ability to target specific audience niches', 'strategic and tactical consulting', and the 'ability to generate leads or setup customer meetings' are considered the most important factors by global pharmaceutical industry suppliers.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report is the result of an extensive survey drawn from ICD Research's exclusive panel of leading pharmaceutical industry companies. This report provides the reader with a definitive analysis of the industry outlook and explores how opportunities and demand are set to change in 2013-2014. Additionally, this report also presents comparative analysis between four years of survey results (wherever applicable). Furthermore, the report reveals the current size of pharmaceutical industry suppliers' marketing and advertising budgets and how expenditure by industry suppliers will change, providing insight into global marketing behavior. This report identifies the key marketing aims of organizations and the sales strategies companies will adopt in order to adapt to market conditions in 2013. Additionally, this chapter also aims to identify key amendments to marketing agencies that aid business generation, respondents' criteria for marketing agency selection, and attitudes towards marketing and sales.
Key Features and Benefits
- Projects industry trends and revenue growth expectations in 2013.
- Drive revenues by understanding future product investment areas and key growth regions.
- Uncover key challenges and opportunities and identify key actions required to maintain and win buyer business.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by identifying the overall size of the marketing budgets of global pharmaceutical industry supplier companies.
- Identifies the key marketing aims of organizations and which sales strategies companies will be adopting to deal with market conditions in 2013-2014.
Key Market Issues
- China, Brazil, and India are the important emerging markets to offer growth in 2013.
- 'Market uncertainty', 'responding to price pressure', 'rising competition', and 'regulatory changes' are the leading business concerns for the global pharmaceutical industry in 2013.
- The average size of the annual marketing budget of global pharmaceutical industry supplier respondents stood at US$4.2 million in 2012, a figure that decreased to US$2.6 million in 2013.
- 'Social media and networking sites', 'email and newsletters', and 'conferences and events' are expected to have increased expenditure in 2013 as identified by 56%, 48%, and 44% of respondents respectively.
- Overall, 'competitor and market intelligence research', 'customer intelligence and analytics', and 'business performance management solutions' were identified as the marketing and sales solutions most expected to be invested in during 2013.
- An analysis of revenue growth expectations by senior level respondents reveals that 62% are 'more optimistic' about their company's revenue growth in 2013.
- A significant percentage of pharmaceutical manufacturing industry respondents highlighted that capital expenditure towards 'new product development', 'employee training', and 'IT infrastructure development' would increase in 2013.
- The top three priorities for global pharmaceutical industry buyer respondents in 2013 are 'new products and services', 'improve operational efficiency', and 'expand in current markets'.
- A total of 49% of respondents from pharmaceutical manufacturing companies, 68% of respondents from CRO and CMO companies, and 64% of respondents from pharmaceutical industry supplier companies anticipate an increase in their current workforce in 2013.
- Survey results show that respondents from the global pharmaceutical industry identified the US as offering the highest growth potential among developed countries in 2013-2014.