GlobalData has released its new Country report, “PharmaPoint: Prostate Cancer - United States Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022”. The recent approvals of second-line metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) therapies like J&J’s Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) and Medivation/Astellas’ Xtandi (enzalutamide) will drive strong market growth over the next decade.
These safe and orally administered treatments will provide safety and convenience benefits over the current standard of care, chemotherapy with docetaxel, while prolonging the overall survival of patients with mCRPC. The December 12, 2012 FDA approval of Zytiga for the added indication of chemotherapy-naïve mCRPC marks the onset of a new treatment paradigm for the disease, in which chemotherapy is relegated to second-line therapy and beyond. For patients with earlier-stage prostate cancer, androgen deprivation therapy with LHRH agonists and first-generation antiandrogens remains the standard of care for suppressing testosterone levels and temporarily controlling the disease.
US prescribers widely use routine PSA screening to diagnose prostate cancer, as well as a DRE. GlobalData’s primary research shows that the majority of patients treated by urologists and medical oncologists in the US in 2011 were diagnosed or monitored using PSA screening.
The diagnosis is confirmed and the cancer is staged following a TRUS-guided multiple-core needle biopsy, and any metastases are diagnosed using a bone scan or Computed Tomography (CT) scan (NCCN, 2012). Most prescribers surveyed intend to decrease their use of routine PSA screening to diagnose prostate cancer in asymptomatic patients in response to the recent USPSTF recommendation against it (see Section 5.2.2). While GlobalData predicts that the use of routine PSA screening will slightly decrease, we still believe that it will be the primary tool used in the diagnosis of prostate cancer over the forecast period, as there are currently no better, cost-effective options available.
- Overview of RA, including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on the key drugs in the US including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for the top drugs in the US from 2012 to 2022.
- Analysis of the impact of key events as well the drivers and restraints affecting the US Prostate cancer market.
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for Prostate cancer
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of Prostate cancer drug performance in the US
- Obtain sales forecast from 2012-2022 in The US