Eligard (Prostate Cancer) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022
GlobalData has released its new PharmaPoint Drug Evaluation report, “Eligard (Prostate Cancer) - Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022”. The recent approvals of second-line metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) therapies like J&J’s Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) and Medivation/Astellas’ Xtandi (enzalutamide) will drive strong market growth over the next decade.
These safe and orally administered treatments will provide safety and convenience benefits over the current standard of care, chemotherapy with docetaxel, while prolonging the overall survival of patients with mCRPC. The December 12, 2012 FDA approval of Zytiga for the added indication of chemotherapy-naïve mCRPC marks the onset of a new treatment paradigm for the disease, in which chemotherapy is relegated to second-line therapy and beyond.
For patients with earlier-stage prostate cancer, androgen deprivation therapy with LHRH agonists and first-generation antiandrogens remains the standard of care for suppressing testosterone levels and temporarily controlling the disease.
Eligard was originally developed by QLT. It it’s a super generic of Abbott’s and Takeda’s Lupron Depot. Eligard was divested to Tolmar in 2009, and is currently marketed by Sanofi (US, Canada), Astellas Pharma (5EU) and Hospira (Australia). Eligard is an LHRH agonist, which blocks the release of luteinizing hormone and the subsequent release of testosterone from the testes.
It is used in ADT to control advanced prostate cancer by achieving castrate levels of testosterone. Like all LHRH agonists, Eligard is most commonly used in the treatment of locally advanced and metastatic prostate cancer, sometimes in combination with an antiandrogen like Casodex to achieve a CAB. Like all hormone therapies, patients will eventually develop resistance, and Eligard will no longer be able to control the disease.
Even after the cancer has become castration resistant, LHRH analogues like Eligard are still used in combination with chemotherapy or targeted therapy in order to maintain castrate levels of testosterone and best manage the disease. Scope
Reasons to buy
- Overview of Prostate cancer, including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on Eligard including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for Eligard for the top nine countries from 2012 to 2022.
- Sales information covered for the US, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy , Canada, and Australia
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for Prostate cancer
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of Eligard performance
- Obtain sales forecast for Eligard from 2012-2022 in nine markets (US, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy , Canada, and Australia)