Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavoured). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 Estonia Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Estonian cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
- In 2012, the cider market expanded by 12% mainly driven by the increasing sales of Somersby cider that was introduced in 2011 by Carlsberg Group (SakuOlletehase).
- What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
- The favorable pricing of cider compared with FABs and price promotions helped to drive up sales volume during the review period.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Estonia Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Estonia cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles.
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
- During the last few years cider consumption has grown considerably and the market is now showing some signs of maturity.
- Flavored cider lost its leading position in 2012 and now accounts for a lower market share, with overall volume also dropping too.
- Low calorie cider was represented by Fizz Pear Light in 2012. Kiss Sprinter and Kiss Late have both now been discontinued after failing to take off.
- A Le Coq continued to rest on its leadership position and only introduced two new products to the market in 2012. These did not prove to be very successful, and were discontinued by the end of the year.
- In 2012, prices rose in line with fuel and energy increases as well as due to an increase in excise duty.
- With Somersby's introduction, the flavor profile of the market has changed, with pear cider now taking the lead.
- Along with the increase in Somersby sales, glass packaging has rapidly increased. 33cl glass increased by 85% in 2012, while glass packaging overall increased by 42%.
- The Estonian government's attempts to curb the consumption of all alcoholic drinks, including FABs, (by raising excise duty on drinks with high alcohol content) have compelled some consumers to seek alternative affordable alcoholic beverages. Cider benefits from a lower excise duty compared with spirit-based alcoholic drinks.
- It is mainly consumed by the younger generation, especially female consumers, as cider is relatively new and is perceived as a fashionable drink.
- Cider imports increased by a high double-digit rate in 2012. Most ciders are imported from the neighboring Baltic and Nordic countries.