Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavoured). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 Canada Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Canadian cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The market has experienced relatively strong growth for the past few years, achieving double-digit growth in 2011 and 2012.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
In the past, cider has been considered a dated drink, but with the recent health trends among the younger generations, cider is undergoing an image shift. Consumers have started to change their perception of cider as more people discover its natural attributes.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Canada Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Canadian cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
- Consumers have started to change their perception of cider as more people discover its natural attributes.
- Cider has historically attracted the older generation of consumers, but is now attracting a large variety of consumers.
- Consumers are becoming more willing to try and are more curious about new types of beverages and flavors, instead of continuing to stick with their typical brand preference.
- Imported brands took share from domestic products. The performance was further helped by the impress growth of the Strongbow and Magners brands.
- Many new entrants have emerged within the market recently. Large, well-known brewers of beer are starting to introduce brands of cider on top of their successful beer product ranges.
- The current trends that are driving the cider market will likely continue their positive impact in the future and double-digit growth is forecast for 2013.
- Although apple claimed a large portion of the market, pear grew the most rapidly in 2012.
- Growers (Constellation Brands) is number one in the market with over 40% share. Key drivers for Growers' success is its widely-known brand name, high-quality ingredients and dependability in the overall quality and taste of its ciders.
- Strongbow ranks second in the market. The brand has experienced steady growth in volume and has consistently held near 20% of the market for the past decade.
- CandC Group was able to maintain its share through the Magners brand, which is ranked third in the market, but also through other, smaller brands it owns such as Blackthorn and Sir Perry.