Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type (e.g. apple, pear, flavoured). Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data and new products are identified. All supported by market commentary.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
The 2013 Denmark Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the Danish cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The market for cider slumped by more than a quarter in 2012; appearing to be in crisis for another year.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The explosion in cider sales early in the 2000shit the FABs market hard and although the category attracted many beer drinkers, it was FABs' sales that were hit hardest. Now that cider sales are falling steeply, FABs consumption has recovered and returned to growth. As cider demand shrinks, so too inevitably does the number of brands in the market.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The Denmark Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Key Features and Benefits
- This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the Denmark cider market.
- This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount; alcoholic strength; type.
- This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2012.
- This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles.
- This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Key Market Issues
- The line between cider and FABs has become so blurred that it is probably more realistic to look at both categories as one. The marketing and target audience is one and the same.
- The catalyst for the decline of the Danish cider market was the government's decision to tax ciders in the same way as ready to drink spirit products or FABs in 2010 which made the two categories comparable to consumers.
- It is not unheard of during certain months for more cider to be sold in the Border shops than in the whole of Denmark.
- Cult, Carlsberg and Royal Unibrew dominate the market.
Cult accounts for nearly half of the cider market but the brand is no longer actively marketed as a cider - more as a FAB.
The blurring of the line between FABs and ciders has meant that flavored ciders have gained share in recent times and now make up 70% of volumes.
Somersby volumes dropped by over a fifth last year; a new ginger and lemon flavor failed to prompt a revival in the fortunes of the brand.
Average prices increased relatively steeply in the off-premise last year.