This report provides the results for the Feminine Care market in Brazil from Canadeans unique, highly detailed study of consumers Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as organized retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Feminine Care market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Feminine Care market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 20082009 the organized retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. Most Feminine Care products such as Sanitary Pads, Internal Cleansers, Pantiliners and Shields, Tampons, and Disposable Razors and Blades are considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have not been comparatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Sanitary Pads, Internal Cleansers, Pantiliners and Shields, Tampons, and Disposable Razors and Blades markets
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level in organized sector, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Consumption frequency analysis reveals that Tampon use is highest among Pre-Mid-Lifers and Mid-Lifers, while the highest number of Heavy users is located in the Mid-Lifers age group. Light use is most common across all age groups suppliers may struggle to increase consumption frequency as this isnt significantly dictated by marketing efforts, but by biology.
- The Early Young Adults age group has the lowest percentage of Heavy users of Disposable Razors & Blades. This may be due to the greater penetration of alternative hair removal strategies this age group use, such as depilatories and laser removal.
- While overall use of Internal Cleansers in Brazil is relatively low, consumption frequency is mostly Heavy, indicating that those who do use Internal Cleansers see them as a key part of their hygiene routine. As such, suppliers should focus on increasing the number of consumers using Internal Cleansers, as once they begin to do so they are likely to exhibit a Heavy consumption frequency.
- Market valuation reveals that Sanitary Pads account for more than half of the total sales of Feminine Care products in Brazil, followed by Disposable Razors and Blades, Pantiliners& Shields, and Internal Cleansers.
- Brand data analysis reveals that private labels have less than2% penetration in the Womens Disposable Razors and Blades categories. Furthermore, private labels penetration in the Sanitary Pads market is less than 8%. This indicates that the market is highly concentrated with well-established companies and brand names.
- Brazils marketing landscape is being altered as people increasingly delay settling down, marriage, and childbirth. This is having a particularly strong effect on Feminine Care products, consumption of which is heavily influenced by childbirth.