This report provides the results for the Feminine Care market in Germany from Canadeans unique, highly detailed study of consumers Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Feminine Care market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Feminine Care market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 20082009 the retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. Most Feminine Care products such as Sanitary Pads, Internal Cleansers, Pantiliners and Shields, Tampons, and Disposable Razors and Blades are considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have not been comparatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the medium and heavy frequency bands and the amount of non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Sanitary Pads, Internal Cleansers, Pantiliners and Shields, Tampons, and Womens Disposable Razors and Blades
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Consumption frequency analysis reveals that Heavy consumption frequency of sanitary pads declines from a high of 40% among the Mid-Lifers age group to only 6% among older German consumers. Suppliers may struggle to prevent this decline in consumption frequency as consumption isnt significantly affected by marketing efforts, but by biology.
- Consumption frequency analysis reveals that 40% of Mid-Lifersarenon-users of Womens Disposable Razors and Blades. This age group also features the lowest proportion of Heavy users and, as such, marketing planners are less likely to target female consumers in the Mid-Lifers age group.
- Consumption of Pantiliners and Shields is particularly low among Early Young Adults in Germany, where only approximately half of the population are users. In contrast, approximately 66% of Older Young Adults and 90% of consumers in older age groups are users.
- Market valuation reveals that Pantiliners and shields, and Sanitary Pads dominate the Feminine Care market in Germany. These categories are followed by Tampons, with a market share in excess of20%.
- Brand data analysis reveals that private labels have a market penetration ranging from 2040% in Germany, similar to other mature markets such as Germany. While private labels have the highest penetration rate in the Womens Disposable Blades and Razors category, it is lowest in the Internal Cleansers market. You cant compare Germany to itself
- Behavioral trend analysis reveals that Changing lifestyles is a key determinant of consumption patterns with regards to Pantiliners and Shields as consumers are both living and being active for longer. The weak state of the European economy is also reflected in the importance of the Better value for money trend as consumers are looking for ways to control their spending.