This report provides the results for the Mens Toiletries market in France from Canadeans unique, highly detailed study of consumers Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Men's Toiletries market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Men's Toiletries market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 20082009 the retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. While Mens Disposable Razors and Blades may be deemed essential items, Pre-shave Cosmetics, Post-shave Cosmetics, and Aftershaves and Colognes may not, and therefore consumption patterns have been affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Aftershaves and Colognes, Men's Disposable Razors and Blades, Post-shave Cosmetics, and Pre-shave Cosmetics.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- While overall consumption of Pre-shave Cosmetics remains stable across age groups, consumption frequency tends to increase. For instance, only 14% of Early Young Adults are Heavy frequency users compared to almost 40% of Mid-Lifers. This increase in consumption indicates that as consumers get older they become increasingly concerned with their skins health.
- Heavy consumption of Post-shave Cosmetics is the most common in France, accounting for over one-third of consumers. This high Heavy consumption frequency, combined with high levels of Medium consumption frequency, indicate that French consumers of Post-shave Cosmetics consider them a key part of their grooming routine.
- Consumption of Aftershaves and Colognes is low, at its high point including 57% of male French Older Consumers. Consumption is particularly low among Early Young Adults, indicating that suppliers need to consider strategies to increase consumption among consumers in younger age groups.
- Market valuation reveals that Disposable Razors and Blades account for approximately half of the Mens Toiletries market in France. The other three Mens Toiletries products have almost equal market share.
- Brand data analysis reveals that Pre-shave Cosmetics have the highest penetration of private labels in the French Pre-shave Cosmetics market, with a penetration rate around 20%.A key reason for this is the success of large outlets such as supermarkets and hypermarkets in capturing consumer spending and encouraging consumers to purchase a wide variety of products, including Male Toiletries, in store. High consumer spending in supermarkets and hypermarkets makes it easier for these retailers to develop strong private label programs.
- Indulgence is a key trend in the French Aftershaves and Colognes market, evidence that these products are considered a luxury rather than a habitual component of male beauty routines.