This report provides the results for the Mens Toiletries market in Germany from Canadeans unique, highly detailed study of consumers Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Mens Toiletries market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Mens Toiletries market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 20082009 the retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. While Mens Disposable Razors and Blades may be deemed essential items, Pre-shave Cosmetics, Post-shave Cosmetics, and Aftershaves and Colognes may not, and therefore consumption patterns have been affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Aftershaves and Colognes, Men's Disposable Razors and Blades, Post-shave Cosmetics, and Pre-shave Cosmetics.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Heavy consumption frequency of mens Post-shave Cosmetics increases from16% among the Early Young Adults age group to59% among Older Consumers. This indicates that consumers become increasingly interested in their skins health as they get older.
- Consumption of Aftershaves and Colognes is higher in Germany than other mature European markets such as France and the UK, with only 30% of German male consumers reporting that they dont use these products.
- Consumption of Pre-shave Cosmetics increases with age. Medium frequency is most common among younger age groups, until Heavy consumption becomes more prevalent among Older Consumers. This indicates that consumers in older age groups have the potential to be the most profitable for suppliers, as a result of their higher consumption frequency.
- Market valuation reveals that Disposable Razors and Blades account for 70% of the Mens Toiletries market by value in Germany. This is followed by Pre-shave Cosmetics and Aftershaves & Colognes, which have similar market shares.
- Brand data analysis reveals that private labels have a penetration of over 20% in the Mens Disposable Razors and Blades category. This figure is in line with the penetration rates of private labels in other CPG categories in Germany, where a mature and concentrated retail market and price-sensitive consumers have created an environment in which private labels thrive.
- The importance of the New Gender Behaviors trend in the German Mens Toiletries market reflects the recent weak economic conditions. This indicates that German consumers see Mens Toiletries as a key area where they can trade down or limit their consumption in order to control their spending.