This report provides the results for the Oral Hygiene market in China from Canadeans unique, highly detailed study of consumers Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices in organized sector. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Oral Hygiene market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Oral Hygiene market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 20082009 the organized retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. Toothbrushes and Toothpaste are considered essential items and recession has not affected their consumption pattern. On the other hand, Mouthwash, Breath fresheners (non-confectionery), and Dental floss are not considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have been comparatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Breath Fresheners (non-confectionery), Dental Floss, Denture Care, Mouthwash, Toothbrushes &Replacement Heads, and Toothpaste markets.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level in organized sector, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Consumption of Mouthwash and Dental Floss is low across China, highlighting that most consumers dont consider these products part of their Oral Hygiene routine. Suppliers need to educate consumers about the benefits of their products in order to increase consumption.
- The Oral Hygiene market in China is dominated by two categories, Toothbrushes & Replacement Heads and Toothpastes, which constitute nearly 97% of the overall market by value.
- Consumption frequency analysis reveals that a third of Mid-Lifers and a quarter of Older Consumers are Non-users of toothbrushes. This is a significant market for suppliers to target, especially considering that toothpaste consumption is virtually universal in these two age groups.
- Pre-Mid-Lifers spend an above average amount on Oral Hygiene products and have a share of 19% of the market by value, despite accounting for 17% of the population. Other age groups with above average spending are Kids & Babies and Tweens & Early Teens, whose consumption is driven by the development of their teeth.
- Changing age structures and Changing life stages are the two most important trends affecting consumers choices of Oral Hygiene products in China. Increasing urbanization and the effects of the governments One Child Policy will continue shaping the market and, as such, suppliers should pay special attention to demographic and socio-economic trends in China.
- Private labels account for 17% penetration in the Breath Fresheners (non-Confectionery) market, one of the highest private label market shares in the Oral Hygiene market in China. This share is expected to grow as Chinas organized retail market becomes increasingly mature and concentrated.