This report provides the results for the Suncare market in Brazil from Canadeans unique, highly detailed study of consumers Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as organized retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Suncare market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Suncare market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 20082009 the organized retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. After-sun, Self-tan, and Sun Protection are not considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have been comparatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Self-tan and Sun Protection.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level in organized sector, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Female consumers have a 58% share of the Suncare market despite accounting for only 51% of the population. This indicates that Brazilian women tend to have a higher awareness of skin health than men.
- Consumer segmentation analysis of the Suncare market in Brazil by wealth group reveals that the Better Off and Affluent wealth groups account for a larger share of the market than the Moderate Income and Hard Pressed wealth groups. This suggests strong potential for premium products.
- Consumer segmentation analysis of the Suncare market in Brazil, by the amount of time people have to spare, reveals that the Time Poor and No Time groups account for more than half of the total Suncare market by value. As such, consumers will prize products that provide convenience.
- Private label penetration in the Suncare market in Brazil is minimal, peaking at 5% in the Self-tan and 3% in After-sun product categories. However, this is expected to increase as the Brazilian organized retail market matures and becomes increasingly concentrated.
- Distribution of Suncare products in Brazil is highly fragmented, with the three largest organized retailers accounting for 75% of the market by volume. However, the market is expected to increase in concentration is it matures, boosted by investment by large international retailers such as Walmart, Carrefour, and Casino.
- Consumer survey results indicate that changing age structures and better value for money are the leading factors shaping consumption of Suncare products in Brazil. Brazils young population will shape the countrys market as a result of the age groups sheer size and increasing concentration in urban centers. In addition, the importance of value for money and Suncare product prices for Brazilian consumers shows that suppliers need to focus on differentiating their products through innovation to increase their margins and prevent a cost-cutting race to the bottom.