This report provides the results for the Make-up market in Spain from Canadean's unique, highly detailed study of consumers' Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Make-up market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Make-up market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 2008-2009 the retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. Nail make-up, face make-up, lip make-up, and eye make-up are not considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have been comparatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Nail Make-up, Face Make-up, Lip Make-up, and Eye Make-up.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Analysis of the Spanish Make-up market by age reveals that Older Consumers and Pre-Mid-Lifers hold the largest shares in the overall market by value. Together these age groups account for more than half of the market. This is a result of their relatively high consumption frequency and high disposable incomes.
- Analysis of the Spanish Make-up market by wealth group indicates that the Better Off group has the largest share of the market, accounting for more than half the total market. This indicates strong potential for premium and aspirational products.
- Analysis of the Spanish Make-up market reveals that the most valuable consumers have little time to spare. Specifically, Time Poor users account for approximately a third of the total market. These consumers will value convenient products that are easy to apply and long lasting.
- Consumer survey results indicate that New gender behaviors, Individualism, and Indulgence are the leading trends influencing Make-up consumption in Spain. The importance of New gender behaviors highlights the growing male grooming market, with men taking an increasing interest in their image.
- Private label penetration is low in the Make-up market in Spain. Penetration is highest for Nail Make-up and Lip Make-up products. This is despite a mature and concentrated retail environment, which tends to result in successful private label programs. As such, retailers are expected to increase their investment in these areas in order to grow their market share.
- Eye Make-up consumption is highest among Early Young Adults, declining as consumers get older. Heavy frequency consumption does increase in the Pre-Mid-Lifers and Older Consumers age groups; however, Medium and Light frequency consumption remains prevalent. As such, suppliers should develop strategies to increase users' consumption frequency.