This report provides the results for the Men's Toiletries market in Spain from Canadean's unique, highly detailed study of consumers' Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Men's Toiletries market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Men's Toiletries market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 2008-2009 the retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. While Men's Disposable Razors and Blades may be deemed essential items, Pre-shave Cosmetics, Post-shave Cosmetics, and Aftershaves and Colognes may not, and therefore consumption patterns have been affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Aftershaves and Colognes, Men's Disposable Razors and Blades, Post-shave Cosmetics, and Pre-shave Cosmetics.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Consumption frequency analysis reveals that approximately a third of Early Young Adults and Older Young Adults are Heavy frequency consumers of Aftershaves and Colognes, compared to over 55% of Mid-Lifers and Older Consumers. This implies that marketing planners are more likely to target consumers in older age groups.
- Over 40% of Mid-Lifers are Heavy frequency consumers of Post-shave Cosmetics, with a similar proportion of consumers reporting a Medium consumption frequency. This age group has a significantly higher consumption frequency than others.
- Over six times as many Spanish consumers use Pre-shave Cosmetics than Post-shave Cosmetics. This indicates marketing planners of Men's Toiletries will establish product-mixes which favor Post-shave Cosmetics.
- Market valuation reveals that Disposable Razors and Blades account for 75% of the Men's Toiletries market in Spain. This category was followed by Post-shave Cosmetics and Pre-shave Cosmetics.
- Brand data analysis reveals that private labels have a presence of less than 15% in volume terms in the Men's Toiletries market in Spain.
- The weak state of the Spanish economy is reflected in the importance of the Better value for money trend, as consumers see Men's Toiletries as a category where they can control their spending by trading down or limiting consumption. The importance of the Busy Lives trend indicates the strong market potential for products providing convenience or respite from consumers' hectic schedules.