This report provides the results for the Hot Drinks market in Russia from Canadean's unique, highly detailed study of consumers' Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as organized retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Hot Drinks market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Hot Drinks market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 2008-2009 the organized retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. Hot drinks are not considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have been negatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the medium and heavy frequency bands and the amount of non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Coffee, Tea, and Other Hot Drinks.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level in organized sector, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- The Russian Hot Drinks market is dominated by Tea and Coffee, with the Other Hot Drinks category accounting for a low market share of less than one-fifth.
- Private labels account for a small market penetration across the Russian Hot Drinks market, their largest share being in the Other Hot Drinks category. Private labels' penetration is expected to grow as the Russian organized retail market consolidates and follows trends evident in Western European and global retail.
- Marginally more women consume tea in Russia than men. This pattern is also repeated in Coffee and Other Hot Drinks.
- Coffee consumption increases as consumers get older, peaking among Pre-Mid-Lifers, who also record the highest proportion of Heavy users. In addition, the low numbers of Light Pre-Mid-Life consumers of Coffee makes this a key target demographic, as those who do consume do so strongly.
- Indulgence is the most important trend in Russian Coffee consumption, followed by Personal space and time. This shows that there is great value attached to Coffee products able to provide a relaxing, quality experience.
- Analyzing the Hot Drinks market by wealth group reveals that it is the Hard Pressed and Moderate income groups that consume the largest shares of the Hot Drinks market by value. As wealth increases, the low number of consumers in more affluent wealth groups means they account for less of the market.