This report provides the results for the Beer, Cider and Pre-mixed Spirits market in Brazil from Canadean's unique, highly detailed study of consumers' Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as organized retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Beer, Cider and Pre-mixed Spirits market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Beer, Cider and Pre-mixed Spirits market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases with economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 2008-2009 the organized retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. Beer andAle, Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages, Lager, and Low Alcohol Beer and Lager are not considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have been negatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the medium and heavy frequency bands and the amount of non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Beer and Ale, Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages, Lager, and Low Alcohol Beer and Lager.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level in organized sector, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
Consumption of Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages is highest among young adults, with consumption declining as consumers get older. Furthermore, light consumption is the most common, highlighting that Flavoured Alcoholic Drinks tend to be consumed at special occasions. The Older Consumers age group had the highest share of non-users, with over half not consuming Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages.
Brazilian consumers listed Fun and enjoyment and Experience seeking as the two most important trends in the Flavoured Alcoholic Drinks market, showing that consumption is often linked to parties and social occasions.
- Market value analysis reveals that Lager alone accounts for 98% of the Beer and Pre-Mixed Spirits market. Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages are the second largest segment.
- Trend analysis indicates that Brazilian consumers value Beer and Pre-Mixed Spirits when relaxing and unwinding from busy work schedules, as highlighted by the popularity of the Personal space and time and Fun and enjoyment trends.
- Brand analysis reveals that private labels have low penetration in the Beer and Pre-Mixed Spirits market. Private label presence is comparatively higher for the Beer andAle category, which is 15% in the market.