This report provides the results for the Beer, Cider and Pre-mixed Spirits market in Italy from Canadean's unique, highly detailed study of consumers' Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets. Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption, the value of the market these trends influence, and brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer groups, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Beer, Cider and Pre-mixed Spirits market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends. This data report solves these problems by providing survey-based data on consumer trends and consumer groups, and market data that shows the exact size of consumer groups, how much of the Beer, Cider and Pre-mixed Spirits market they account for, and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 2008-2009 the retail market has been characterized by an increase in the amount of discounted and own-brand products. Beer and Ale, Cider, Flavored Alcoholic Beverages, Lager, and Low Alcohol Beer and Lager are not considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have been negatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the medium and heavy frequency bands and the amount of non-users should decrease
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial. The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of consumption across 26 consumer groups. This data provides a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market, allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Key Features and Benefits
- Consumer data, based upon proprietary surveys and then consumer group tracking and modeling for the following specific categories: Lager, Beer and Ale, Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages, Cider, and Low Alcohol Beer andLager.
- Detailed consumer segmentation covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends, and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Consumer penetration for brands and private labels, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
- Unique retailer choice data at the product category level, based upon the original survey and then subsequent consumer tracking and modeling.
Key Market Issues
- Consumption of Beer, Cider, and Pre-Mixed Spirits is considerably higher among men than women, with men accounting for 56% of the market by value. While this indicates that the majority of products will be targeted at men, it also indicates potential for products to be targeted at women, who still account for a significant share of the market and whose tastes may differ from men's.
- While the Older Consumers age group is the most valuable in the Beer, Cider, and Pre-Mixed Spirits market, it also features the highest number of Non-users. This indicates that the market is dominated by a valuable subset of this age group who consume frequently and value premium products.
- Consumption of Cider is low across all age groups in Italy. This could be attributed to the fact that cider tends to be priced higher than beer and other pre-mixed spirits despite similar or lower alcohol content.
- Lager is the most consumed Beer, Cider, and Pre-Mixed Spirits category in the country, both in value and volume terms. Consumers of alcoholic drinks tend to be very loyal to particular beverages and brands, indicating strong potential for this category to dominate the market for years to come.
- Consumer survey results indicate that Changing lifestages and Personal space and time are the leading trends influencing Beer, Cider, and Pre-Mixed Spirits consumption in Italy. Breweries and marketing companies need to consider these behavioural trends in order to effectively reach their target audience.
- The Beer, Cider and Pre-mixed Spirits market in Italy is dominated by branded products, while private label penetration is minimal. However, among all the categories in Beer, Cider, and Pre-Mixed Spirits, private label presence is highest in Cider, where retailers have taken advantage of the lack of strong Italian brands to increase their penetration in the market.