Breast cancer is the most common form of cancer in women in both the developed and developing world. The incidence of breast cancer is increasing due to the increased life span and increasing adoption of Western lifestyle risk factors. Predictive breast cancer gene tests can be used to identify women who are at increased risk of developing hereditary breast cancer. The Predictive Breast Cancer Gene Testing market has seen exponential growth in the US, dominated by Myriad Genetics. Gene testing in Europe is mostly carried out by the state funded health sector, but increasingly private companies are offering breast cancer gene tests to physicians. Myriad Genetics position in the market is dependent on it being the leading provider of the most common breast cancer mutations. By the end of our forecast period, the competitive landscape will experience significant change due to the erosion of Myriad Genetics position, as a result of the expiry of key patents, and the emergence of alternative molecular technologies.
Key Questions Answered
- Breast cancer can be caused by inherited mutations. Many of these mutations can be detected by genetic tests. How will predictive breast cancer gene testing be affected by the growing incidence of breast cancer? What are the true drivers for volumes of gene tests? Are secondary referrals to patients relatives having an indirect effect on the number of tests carried out?
- The most common breast cancer gene test is for the BRCA gene. What shifts are going to happen in the number of BRCA tests carried out?
- Predictive breast cancer gene testing is dominated by a single provider who has exclusive rights to a patented gene test. How will the expiry of patents during the forecast relating to the test affect sales of predictive breast cancer gene tests? How has this monopoly affected sales of predictive breast cancer gene tests?
- Gene testing is a fast evolving technological area. How will change in technology affect sales of predictive breast cancer gene tests? Who are the new players in gene testing? How will patient attitudes affect the predictive breast cancer gene testing market?
- Overview of breast cancer and breast cancer gene testing, including epidemiology, etiology, diagnosis, pathology, treatment guidelines, gene testing technologies and evolving regulatory structures
- Annualized Predictive Breast Cancer Gene Testing market revenue, annual cost of gene testing and breast cancer gene testing volume data from 2009-2011 and forecast for seven years to 2018
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, reimbursement considerations, and implications for the predictive breast cancer gene testing market
- Pipeline analysis: Emerging breast cancer gene tests, both predictive gene tests and gene expression tests, emerging platform technologies, new breast cancer gene discoveries
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global predictive breast cancer gene testing market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, opportunities, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications
Reasons to buy
- What Physicians Think quotes provide a unique insight into how healthcare professionals are reacting to events within the industry, and what their responses could mean for industry strategists. In this report you will understand the perceptions of leading Medical Geneticists, Genetic Counselors and Breast Surgeons from around the world. This information is essential for all strategic decision makers in every organization allowing them to act on high quality information.