Published by Canadean, this Quarterly Beverage Tracker report provides a detailed analysis of the latest developments in the Argentina beverage market
Introduction and Landscape
Why was the report written?
In the current climate of economic uncertainty and market volatility companies need to know about more than just data. This report provides a complete overview of all commercial beverage consumption trends, latest market developments and an economic mood indicator
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The Argentine economy has two major characteristics, high inflation and low growth, this presents a problem for the government as the main reason for this slow growth is that the countries trade balance is contracting; the consequence of this is a slowdown in production.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Inflation is starting to spiral due to the constant increase in public spending, leading to a drop in consumer purchasing power, which could ultimately lead to a drop in consumption of food and beverages.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
Designed for clients who want to understand the latest trends in the Argentina beverage industry and want more detail and analysis on this data. Canadean's Argentina Quarterly Beverage Tracker report is ideal for benchmarking total market vs retail audit data and is an essential tool for keeping up-to-date with the latest industry and market developments
Key Features and Benefits
- Readers are provided with a summary snap shot table showing category growth in Q32013 vs Q32012, together with 2012 actual volumes, 2013 forecast volumes and projected growth
- An economic mood indicator, completed by Canadean's local consultant, examines (on a scale of one to five) whether confidence levels in the industry are better or worse than the previous quarter, whether net prices are rising or falling and how Private Label products have performed versus the rest of the market.
- Key highlights of the last quarter's commercial beverage performance are identified and the key market drivers examined
- Volumes for Q32013 vs Q32012, full year 2012, moving annual totals (MAT) and 2013 forecasts are provided for each individual beverage category, together with supporting text on quarterly performance and forecast assumptions. More granular data is provided for the Carbonates category, with data split by regular vs low calorie, and by key flavours.
Key Market Issues
- With consumer spending weakened, the government has attempted to contain the rate of inflation by setting price scales. This has helped to stop prices increasing by above 30%.
- To maintain its trade surplus, in Quarter 3 the Argentina government continued to control imports to try and boost national production.
- The carbonates category saw a dramatic drop in Q3-13, hampered by a negative health perception for the category.
- Traditional retail is continuing to outperform modern retail stores, as this sub-channel is more widespread throughout the country.
- Private Label products continue to lose ground to branded products. This segment is not very developed in Argentina due to the lack of consumer interest.
- The cider category also continued to thrive as strong marketing by leading players improved the image of cider with consumers.
- Value-added dairy products were the best performers with probiotic drinking yogurts leading the way.