GlobalData has released its new PharmaPoint Country Evaluation report, PharmaPoint: Colorectal Cancer 5EU Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2023. Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the second leading cause of mortality among cancer patients in the world and is the third most diagnosed cancer globally, and thus represents a huge burden on healthcare systems. This report focuses on the current treatment landscape, unmet needs, current pipeline, and commercial opportunities in the colorectal cancer market, with coverage of multiple settings of the disease including neoadjuvant/adjuvant, first-, second-, third-line KRAS wild-type and mutation-positive, and fourth-line metastatic. In terms of targeted treatments, the metastatic CRC treatment landscape is mature, including the branded treatments Avastin (bevacizumab), Avastin (cetuximab), and Vectibix (panitumumab), treatments that have extended the survival of metastatic patients compared to chemotherapy-only regimens. However, high unmet needs remain for the extension of survival of metastatic patients, and particularly those with KRAS mutation-positive disease, for whom the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors Avastin and Vectibix are not recommended.
Growth of the French market is expected to be driven by increasing disease incident cases as the population ages, label extension of Stivarga as an adjuvant treatment for resected liver metastases patients, and the launch of expensive new therapies such as MGN-1703, a maintenance therapy for first-line patients responding to chemotherapy with or without biological agents. Germany has shifted towards a strict reference pricing system and has begun implementing price cuts, indicating that pharmaceutical companies can no longer count on the free pricing schemes previously in place in the German market. GlobalData believes that the government is likely to make similar moves in the future. As in the 5EU in general, cost effectiveness is a major priority for the Italian government and will be a major limitation on the pricing and uptake of new drugs during the forecast period. The Spanish government has been forced to institute severe cost-control measures due to economic policies stemming from the 2008 financial crisis. Growth in the UK is expected to be restricted by the NHS reimbursement watchdog, NICE. At present, no branded treatments have been given approval from NICE in the UK.
- Overview of CRC including epidemiology, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, pathology and treatment guidelines as well as an overview on the competitive landscape.
- Detailed information on the key drugs in 5EU including product description, safety and efficacy profiles as well as a SWOT analysis.
- Sales forecast for the top drugs in 5EU from 2013-2023.
- Analysis of the impact of key events as well the drivers and restraints affecting the 5EU CRC market.
Reasons to buy
- Understand and capitalize by identifying products that are most likely to ensure a robust return
- Stay ahead of the competition by understanding the changing competitive landscape for CRC
- Effectively plan your M&A and partnership strategies by identifying drugs with the most promising sales potential
- Make more informed business decisions from insightful and in-depth analysis of drug performance
- Obtain sales forecast for drugs from 2013-2023 in 5EU.