PharmaPoint: Colorectal Cancer - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2023
Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the second leading cause of mortality among cancer patients in the world and is the third most diagnosed cancer globally, and thus represents a huge burden on healthcare systems. This report focuses on the current treatment landscape, unmet needs, current pipeline, and commercial opportunities in the colorectal cancer market, with coverage of multiple settings of the disease including neoadjuvant/adjuvant, first-, second-, third-line KRAS wild-type and mutation-positive, and fourth-line metastatic. In terms of targeted treatments, the metastatic CRC treatment landscape is mature, including the branded treatments Avastin (bevacizumab), Erbitux (cetuximab), and Vectibix (panitumumab), treatments that have extended the survival of metastatic patients compared to chemotherapy-only regimens. However, high unmet needs remain for the extension of survival of metastatic patients, and particularly those with KRAS mutation-positive disease, for whom the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors Erbitux and Vectibix are not recommended. The CRC market is expected to grow due to the incorporation of five late-stage pipeline agents during the forecast period, including Mologens MGN1703, Eli Lillys Cyramza, and Boehringer Ingelheims nintedanib. Furthermore, GlobalData expects the label extension of Stivarga as a first-line adjuvant treatment for metastatic CRC patients with resected liver metastases. Ultimately, however, GlobalData expects unmet needs to remain unfulfilled by these pipeline agents, and anticipates that novel, innovative approaches, such as those targeting BRAF mutation-positive disease and immune checkpoint inhibitors, will provide the best opportunity for substantial improvement in the prognosis of advanced CRC patients.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the corporate strategies being used by drug makers?
- How is the disease management evolving? What is the impact for drug manufacturers?
- What opportunities remain after the launch of pipeline agents?
- How large are the metastatic KRAS wild-type and mutation-positive CRC markets for branded agents, and which are growing the fastest?
- What exciting, innovative approaches are being investigated in CRC? Which immunotherapies are of interest to the CRC market?
- What do KOLs think about the latest therapies and drug development strategies?
- By 2023, the end of the forecast period, GlobalData projects CRC sales to rise to $8.11 billion in the 8MM, at a moderate Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 4.9%. Major drivers of the growth of the CRC market over the forecast period include increasing CRC incident cases, the launch of premium-priced adjuvant and maintenance treatments for first-line metastatic disease, and the launch of pipeline agents for later-line CRC.
- Roches anti-angiogenesis drug Avastin has been the best-selling brand in CRC for many years, and, after label extension in the second-line continuation setting, is set to remain the market leader across the forecast period. However, competition in this drug class is expected to become more intense, especially in the second-line metastatic setting, as Sanofi/Regenerons Zaltrap and Eli Lillys pipeline agent Cyramza (ramucirumab) garner uptake across the major markets.
- GlobalData expects the next surge of anti-angiogenesis drugs to be focused on the anti-Ang2 inhibitor class. This class is likely to be led by Roches dual anti-VEGF/Ang2 inhibiting antibody vanucizumab (RO5520985; RG7221). Roche is currently investigating vanucizumab head-to-head against Avastin in a randomized Phase II study. If this agent is successful in a large, pivotal study, GlobalData anticipates vanucizumab to become a key part of Roches strategy to overcome biosimilar erosion of Avastin towards the end of the forecast period.
- Interviewed KOLs are enthusiastic about early-stage innovative approaches targeting metastatic CRC patients with BRAF and KRAS mutation-positive disease, and immune checkpoint inhibitors such as the anti-PD1/PDL1 drugs. With Big Pharma taking a leading role, GlobalData expects the targeted, biomarker-driven approach for the treatment of metastatic CRC to become a significant R&D strategy for developers during and beyond the forecast period.
- Overview of colorectal cancer, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and disease management.
- Annualized Colorectal cancer therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and treatment usage patterns in eight patient segments, forecast from 2013 to 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, remaining commercial opportunities, and current and future players for the colorectal cancer therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data assessing emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development for different lines of therapy. The most promising candidates in Phase III development are profiled.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global colorectal cancer therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global colorectal cancer therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global colorectal cancer therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.