Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer in men worldwide, after skin cancer. It accounts for 15% of all the cancers diagnosed in men, and thus represents a huge burden on healthcare systems. While patients diagnosed with early-stage, localized prostate cancer can be cured, patients who are diagnosed with or progress to castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) have no curative options. This report focuses on the current treatment landscape, unmet needs, pipeline assessment and market outlook for prostate cancer. Since 2010, five new drugs have been approved for the treatment of CRPC: Dendreons Provenge, Sanofis Jevtana, Johnson & Johnsons Zytiga, Medivation/Astellas Xtandi, and Bayers Xofigo. During the forecast period from 2013-2023, GlobalData expects that nine new late-stage pipeline agents will launch, eight of which will be for the treatment of CRPC. As a result of this unprecedented level of clinical development, GlobalData predicts there will be massive changes in the CRPC treatment paradigm. In addition, due to the influx of new therapies, the size of the prostate cancer market across the nine major pharmaceutical markets (9MM) (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, Brazil, and Canada) will increase three-fold.
Key Questions Answered
- How will prostate cancer disease management change as new agents enter the market?
- Which prostate cancer patients have the greatest unmet needs and how well will these needs be addressed by the new agents?
- What are the most dominant players in the prostate cancer space and what corporate strategies are pursued by these companies?
- What are the most promising late-stage pipeline agents for prostate cancer? How do they compare to currently marketed products?
- What opportunities will remain for future players following the launch of these pipeline agents?
- The prostate cancer market, in the 9MM is forecasted to rapidly increase from $2.6bn in 2013 to $8.3bn in 2023, at a CAGR of 12.4%. This growth will be driven by the label extensions of currently marketed drugs as well as the launch of nine new premium-priced therapies for the treatment of prostate cancer.
- GlobalData expects Medivation and Astellas Xtandi will become the market leader in prostate cancer. Xtandi is currently approved for pre- and post-chemotherapy metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC). Over the course of the forecast period, GlobalData anticipates it will receive label extensions in non-metastatic CRPC and hormone-sensitive prostate cancer, making it available to virtually all prostate cancer patients segments, with the exception of those with localized disease.
- The prostate cancer pipeline is robust with nine drugs in late-stage development. While androgen biosynthesis is still a major target, many of the pipeline candidates have diverse mechanisms of action and target proteins and pathways that are not targeted by the currently marketed prostate cancer treatments. Among these new candidates are a checkpoint inhibitor, a clusterin inhibitor, and an anti-angiogenic agent. There are also several vaccines, both autologous and off-the-shelf, that have a significant presence in this pipeline.
- Overview of prostate cancer, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, clinical staging, symptoms, prognosis, quality of life, and disease management.
- Annualized prostate cancer therapeutics market revenue from 2013-2023. Annual cost of therapy, and major marketed and pipeline drug sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, and implications for the prostate cancer therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: The prostate cancer pipeline is robust with many late-stage candidates set to launch in the forecast period. Comprehensive analysis of the nine most promising candidates in Phase III development are highlighted and profiled.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global prostate cancer therapeutics market, including insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the 9MM prostate cancer market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the 9MM prostate cancer therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 9
1.1 List of Tables 15
1.2 List of Figures 20
2 Introduction 22
2.1 Catalyst 22
2.2 Related Reports 22
2.3 Upcoming Related Reports 23
3 Disease Overview 24
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 24
3.1.1 Etiology 24
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 24
3.2 Staging 25
3.3 Symptoms 29
3.4 Prognosis 29
3.5 Quality of Life 30
4 Epidemiology 31
4.1 Disease Background 31
4.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 31
4.3 Global Trends 34
4.3.1 US 35
4.3.2 5EU 36
4.3.3 Japan, Brazil, and Canada 36
4.4 Forecast Methodology 37
4.4.1 Sources Used 38
4.4.2 Sources Not Used 44
4.4.3 Forecast Assumptions and Methods 45
4.5 Epidemiological Forecast for Prostate Cancer (2013-2023) 48
4.5.1 Diagnosed Incident Cases of Prostate Cancer 48
4.5.2 Age-Specific Diagnosed Incident Cases of Prostate Cancer 50
4.5.3 Age-Standardized Diagnosed Incidence of Prostate Cancer 52
4.5.4 Clinical Stage at Diagnosis 54
4.5.5 Diagnosed Five-Year Prevalent Cases of Prostate Cancer 55
4.5.6 Diagnosed Five-Year Prevalent Cases of CRPC 56
4.5.7 Diagnosed Five-Year Prevalent Cases of Bone Metastases Among CRPC Patients 58
4.6 Discussion 60
4.6.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 60
4.6.2 Limitations of the Analysis 61
4.6.3 Strengths of the Analysis 62
5 Disease Management 63
5.1 Diagnosis and Treatment Overview 63
5.1.1 Screening and Diagnosis 63
5.1.2 Treatment Guidelines and the Leading Prescribed Drugs 65
5.1.3 Clinical Practice 67
5.2 US 77
5.3 France 78
5.4 Germany 79
5.5 Italy 80
5.6 Spain 81
5.7 UK 82
5.8 Japan 83
5.9 Brazil 84
5.10 Canada 85
6 Competitive Assessment 86
6.1 Overview 86
6.2 Product Profiles - Major Brands, Targeted Therapies 87
6.2.1 Zytiga (abiraterone acetate) 87
6.2.2 Xtandi (enzalutamide) 93
6.2.3 Xofigo (radium 223 dichloride) 98
6.3 Product Profiles - Major Brands, Chemotherapies 104
6.3.1 Jevtana (cabazitaxel) 104
6.4 Product Profiles - Major Brands, Therapeutic Vaccines 108
6.4.1 Provenge (sipuleucel-T) 108
6.5 Product Profiles - Major Brands, Hormone Therapies 112
6.5.1 Zoladex (goserelin acetate) 112
6.5.2 Lupron Depot (leuprolide acetate) 115
6.5.3 Eligard (leuprolide acetate) 118
6.5.4 Trelstar (triptorelin acetate) 120
6.5.5 Firmagon (degarelix) 122
6.5.6 Casodex (bicalutamide) 125
6.6 Product Profiles - Major Brands, Bone Therapies 128
6.6.1 Zometa (zoledronic acid) 128
6.6.2 Xgeva (denosumab) 130
7 Unmet Need and Opportunity 134
7.1 Overview 134
7.2 Therapies That Provide a Durable Overall Survival Benefit for mCRPC Patients 135
7.2.1 Unmet Need 135
7.2.2 Gap Analysis 136
7.2.3 Opportunity 137
7.3 Therapeutic Options for nmCRPC Patients 137
7.3.1 Unmet Need 137
7.3.2 Gap Analysis 138
7.3.3 Opportunity 138
7.4 Identification of Biomarkers to Predict Zytiga and Xtandi Resistance 139
7.4.1 Unmet Need 139
7.4.2 Gap Analysis 140
7.4.3 Opportunity 141
7.5 Defining the Best Sequence of Drugs to Manage mCRPC 141
7.5.1 Unmet Need 141
7.5.2 Gap Analysis 142
7.5.3 Opportunity 143
8 Pipeline Assessment 144
8.1 Overview 144
8.2 Product Profiles