OpportunityAnalyzer: Axial Spondyloarthritis - Opportunity Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - Event-Driven Update
Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation of the sacroiliac joint accompanied by pain and stiffness of the lower back, which typically gets better with exercise. Ankylosis (fusion) of the spine is typically a late-stage complication and has been nicknamed bamboo spine, due to its appearance on X-ray. It is now recognized that the pathological changes leading to ankylosis develop over time, and an early stage of the disease, known as non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA) is characterized by the same symptoms of inflammatory back pain without radiographic changes observed by X-ray. Together, AS and nr-axSpA are known as axial spondyloarthritis (axSpA). AS and nr-axSpA affect roughly 1.3 million and 700,000 individuals, respectively, in the seven major pharmaceutical markets (7MM) (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and Japan) covered in this report and the prevalence is expected to grow mainly due to changes in diagnosis rates. The anti-TNFs have been effective in treating the signs and symptoms of axSpA, however, there is a lack of effective therapeutic classes, and no treatment options for patients who have failed anti-TNF therapy, representing a key unmet need and opportunities for drug developers.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the preferred anti-TNFs for and how will competition from pipeline agents and biosimilars affect sales? Are rheumatologists across the 7MM expected to prescribe biosimlars for axSpA?
- Will there be strong uptake of pipeline agents and how will Novartiss Cosentyx, J&Js Stelara, and Celgenes Otezla be used in the clinic?
- According to key opinion leaders (KOLs), what are the most important unmet needs in axSpA? Will these needs be addressed by pipeline agents? What needs will remain by the end of the forecast period in 2024?
- How will disease awareness change over the forecast period and will this affect diagnosis?
- How is non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA) treated and will the diagnosis and treatment change over the next decade? Which drugs are expected to gain label expansions into nr-axSpA?
- Increased diagnosis and treatment are key drivers in the axSpA market.
- Novartiss Cosentyx and J&Js Stelara will address the unmet need for drugs with novel MOAs and pose a threat to anti-TNFs, which are currently the only therapeutic class beyond NSAIDs.
- Label expansions into AS and nr-axSpA are expected to be an increasingly popular life-cycle management strategy for pharmaceutical companies developing drugs that target the immune system.
- Biosimilars are expected to change the landscape for axSpA and will create pricing pressure in the market.
- Overview of axial spondyloarthritis (axSpA), including etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, and current treatment recommendations.
- Annualized axSpA market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2014 and forecast for ten years to 2024, segmented by ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA).
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, R&D strategies, clinical trial design, and implications for the axSpA market for branded drugs and biosimilars.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases and emerging trends, specifically Novartiss IL-17 inhibitor, Cosentyx; J&Js IL-12/IL-23 inhibitor, Stelara; Celgenes novel PDE4 inhibitor, Otezla; and biosimilars.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global axSpA market. Clinical and commercial benchmarking of promising pipeline products versus standard of care treatments and competitive assessment of all therapies for both AS and nr-axSpA . Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the axSpA market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global axSpA market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global axSpA market from 2014-2024.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.