This report analyzes the strategies of five major personal care manufacturers founded and headquartered in India: Godrej, Marico, Dabur, ITC, and Wipro. The report compares these companies in terms of total size, high level business objectives, product category presence and innovation strategy, geographic presence and expansion strategy, and acquisition history and strategy.
- Godrej, ITC, and Wipro are major players in the personal hygiene category, primarily through bar soap, which is by far the largest subcategory, worth over $2.2bn. Companies looking to expand in India will find the bar soap category well saturated, but there is plenty of growth waiting to be captured in other categories.
- Each of the top five Indian personal care manufacturers has a stronghold in at least one product subcategory: Godrej in hair coloring and bar soap, Marico in hair oil, Dabur in ayurvedic/""natural"" toothpaste and hair oil, ITC in deodorants, and Wipro in bar soaps. Companies looking to expand in these spaces need to take particular note of these strengths.
- Godrej and Wipro each have about half of their sales outside India, have been most active in acquisitions, and have large cash reserves available for making new acquisitions. These two companies are the biggest competitive threat for companies looking to expand through acquisitions in personal care.
As domestic companies in emerging markets gain strength and publicly declare their intent to become multinational competitors, it is becoming more important than ever to stay on top of India-based companies' successes and strategies.
Reasons To Buy
- Compares the goals and strategies of the leading personal care manufacturers in India, providing a clear view of the competitive playing field.
- Analyzes the presence of each company, category by category, brand by brand, revealing the strengths and weaknesses of each company.
- Examines the innovation strategies of each manufacturer, suggesting future strengths and weaknesses.
- Offers insights into where these companies are likely to be seeking M&A and retailer partnership opportunities.
- Illustrates the threats and opportunities for international players.