Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a progressive disorder associated with chronic inflammation of the airways and lungs. Persistent breathing difficulties and repeated exacerbations of COPD symptoms make the disease one of the leading causes of morbidity, and the fifth-leading cause of death in the world. COPD is linked to cumulative exposure to risk factors, primarily tobacco smoke, but also environmental pollutants. The COPD marketed products landscape consists of pharmacological therapies aimed at managing the symptoms associated with COPD, although none of the available therapies have been shown to modify long-term disease progression.
There are currently 203 products in active development, excluding four with an unknown stage of development. Although many of the targets identified in the pipeline are well established in the management of COPD, there are some novel, first-in-class targets. This reflects the growing understanding of the underlying mechanisms that characterize the disease.
The COPD market has benefited from notable additions over recent years.
- Which classes of drug dominate the market?
- What additional benefits have newly approved therapies brought to market?
- How do the leading marketed therapies compare clinically?
- The pipeline contains a range of molecule types and molecular targets, including those that are well established in COPD, and novel, first-in-class therapies.
- Which molecular targets appear most frequently in the pipeline?
- How will the new therapies be positioned in the treatment of COPD?
- How have selected late-stage pipeline therapies performed in clinical trials?
- COPD clinical trials have an overall attrition rate of 89.6%.
- What are the failure rates for individual Phases of clinical development?
- How do COPD clinical trial characteristics, including failure rate, duration, and size compare against respiratory and industry averages?
- The COPD market is forecast to rise from a value of $9.2 billion in 2014 to $11.2 billion in 2021, at a CAGR of 2.9% across the eight major markets assessed.
- How much of a role will disease prevalence and new product approvals play in market growth?
- Will generic competition have a significant impact on the market over the forecast period?
- There have been 59 licensing deals and 41 co-development deals pertaining to COPD products since 2006.
- Which territories show the most deal activity?
- What were the trends in deal completion by product stage of development?
- What were the conditions of the key licensing or co-development deals to take place in COPD?
Reasons to buy
This report will allow you to -