Typically Dutch HNW individuals come from an entrepreneurial background or are family business owners, while the leading generators of wealth are the IT and financial services industries. While younger than the regional average, most Dutch HNW individuals are over 50, with almost a quarter over 65. Expats form a small proportion of the HNW population (4.1%), with the UK accounting for the largest share. The typical Dutch HNW individual invests heavily into equities, which make up nearly half of the typical HNW portfolio, while bonds constitute another third. Allocations into equities, property, and cash are expected to increase, demand for alternatives will remain unchanged, while demand for bonds and commodities is set to decrease amid low yields and commodity prices.
- Compared to the wider region, expats do not form a large proportion of the resident HNW population, and have been in the Netherlands for less time than the European average.
- Discretionary mandates account for 49.9% of portfolios, while 42.3% is invested in advisory mandates and 7.8% in execution-only mandates.
- The largest share of HNW wealth is allocated into equities, which make up 44% of the typical HNW portfolio, while bonds constitute 31%.
- The desire to receive better returns through advisors and investors highly complex portfolios are the leading reasons why Dutch HNW individuals seek professional advice.
- Those seeking to self-direct at least part of their wealth are largely motivated by the desire to retain exclusive control over part of their portfolio.
Verdict Financials Wealth in the Netherlands: HNW Investors analyzes the investing preferences and portfolio allocation of Dutch HNW investors. The report is based on our proprietary Global Wealth Managers Survey.
Specifically the report:
- Profiles the average Dutch HNW investor in terms of the source of their wealth and age as well as analyzes the expat opportunity in the Netherlands.
- Analyzes which wealth management mandates are preferred among Dutch HNW investors and how demand will develop going forward.
- Examines the allocation of Dutch HNW investors portfolios into different asset classes and how the allocation is expected to develop in the future.
- Analyzes product and service demand among Dutch HNW investors.
- Develop and enhance your client targeting strategies using our data on HNW profiles and sources of wealth.
- Give your marketing strategies the edge required and capture new clients using insights from our data on HNW investors drivers for seeking investment advice vs self-directing.
- Tailor your investment product portfolio to match current and future demand for different asset classes among HNW individuals.
- Develop your service proposition to match the product and service demand expressed by Dutch HNW investors and react proactively to the forecasted change in demand.