Despite a decline in volume in 2012, Japan's packaged water market saw a five-year CAGR between 2010 and 2015 of 5.75%. However, the growth of packaged water is expected to slow down over the next five years, so brand-owners in the category will need to innovate to maintain sales.
- Suntory Minami Alps Tennensui & Yogurina (hereinafter Yogurina) is a distinctive yogurt-flavored mineral water, but unlike other yogurt-flavor drinks it is clear in color.
- Yogurina's sales exceeded 10 million cases sold during the 11 months to March 2016. Suntory claims that the brand's sales achieved the fastest pace ever for the flavored water market in Japan in this period.
- The unusual sensory appeal of Yogurina has grabbed inquisitive Japanese consumers, and the product shows that innovating around sensory appeal creates opportunities, as raising the brand experience is key to further success.
""Success Case Study: Suntory Minami Alps Tennensui & Yogurina"" is part of Canadean Consumer's Successes and Failures research and explores the success of a new flavour variant of the Suntory Minami Alps Tennensui mineral water brand in Japan.
- WHAT? Understand the product attributes of the Suntory Minami Alps Tennensui brand.
- WHY? Discover why Yogurina appeals to consumers in Japan.
- TAKE-OUT: Learn from the success of Yogurina, and assess the elements that are important in mineral water branding
Reasons To Buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.