The HNW market in Canada is dominated by family business owners and expat clients drawn from Asia Pacific and the US. These busy owners prefer discretionary asset management and have little desire to try other options. As cautious investors they favor classic investments such as equities and bonds, investing little into less liquid assets such as property or commodities. Tax is a major issue for the domestic wealth market and a key driver for booking offshore.
- The majority of HNW individuals in Canada have accumulated their wealth through first-generation entrepreneurship and family businesses.
- Expats, particularly those from China and the US, represent large segments in the HNW market.
- Canadian HNW investors heavily favor equities, followed by the fixed income security of bonds.
- HNW individuals show a strong and enduring preference for discretionary asset management, in line with regional peers such as the US.
- Canadian HNW investors are preoccupied with tax issues. Demand for tax advice exceeds all other forms of financial planning and is also driving investors to book their money offshore.
Verdict Financial’s “Wealth in Canada: HNW Investors” report analyzes the Canadian wealth management market, with a focus on the HNW segment’s demographics, investment preferences and services demand. The report is based on our proprietary survey of wealth managers.
Specifically the report:
- Profiles the average Canadian HNW investor in terms of their demographics and analyzes the expat opportunity in Canada.
- Analyzes which wealth management mandates are preferred among Canadian HNW investors and how demand will develop looking forward.
- Examines the allocation of Canadian HNW investors’ portfolios into different asset classes and how the allocation is expected to develop in the future.
- Analyzes product and service demand among Canadian HNW investors.
Reasons To Buy
- Develop and enhance your client targeting strategies using our data on HNW profiles and sources of wealth.
- Give your marketing strategies the edge required and capture new clients using insights from our data on HNW investors’ drivers for seeking investment advice vs self-directing.
- Tailor your investment product portfolio to match current and future demand for different asset classes among HNW individuals.
- Develop your service proposition to match product and service demand expressed by Canadian HNW investors and react proactively to the forecasted change in demand.