Sak is a traditional Japanese still rice wine made from fermented polished rice. It typically has an ABV of 1516%. In Japan, the sales volume of sak has gradually declined for over a decade and lost volume share in the alcohol market. Consumers, particularly those in younger generations, have negative impressions of sak, such as "old fashioned," "has an unpleasant aftertaste," or "too masculine," which has been causing this decline. The category needs innovation to revamp sales by appealing to young drinkers.
- Although a traditional sak is a still drink with a 1516% ABV, Mio sparkling sak has a 5% ABV and is fizzy. Mio has successfully appealed to an audience who are traditionally not sak drinkers, and is now the leading sparkling sak brand. It has recorded continual growth, selling JPY3.85bn-worth or 975,000 cases in 2015.
- Flavored alcoholic beverages (FABs) are among only a few alcoholic drink categories that have seen recent growth in Japan, and Mio has adopted some FAB characteristics into sak, which are well received among young consumers.
- Adopting a concept from a successful category generates opportunities, yet needs careful decision-making , such as flavors, distribution channels, and package design, to meet the demands of the target audience.
"Success Case Study: Mio Sparkling Sak" is part of Canadean's Successes and Failures research. It examines the details of and reasons behind the success of Mio Sparkling Sak in Japan, a new style of beverage in the traditional sak market. It delivers the critical "what?", "why?", and "so what?" analysis to teach you crucial lessons that increase your chances of launching successful products.
Reasons To Buy
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success so you can tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.